Thursday, July 17, 2008

Winding down

Our 50th season is beginning to come to an end. My team had its "B" relay carnival last night. This Saturday is divisionals, the last meet where our swimmers really compete as teams. The end-of-season banquet is right around the corner. After Sunday, only the kids going to Relay or Individual All Stars will still be coming to practice, and by the following Sunday, many pools will be deserted.

I'll be keeping the blog open until July 27th. I have a few topics I'm still planning to cover, but it you have a question you've been dying to ask, now's the time to ask it. I can't guarantee answers--I'm still working on that place judging question Lisa asked here (though I have gotten some input on that)--but I'll do my best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in small development off New Hampshire Ave. called Oakview that was built in the 1950's. I remember walking to the pool every day in the summer and swimming for the Oakview Octopuses. Backstroke was my best stroke because I was very tall for my age. Our team rep was Ms. Ginny Marks. Ms. Marks always had the Oakview Octopus Swim Team design a float every year for the Oakview 4th of July Parade that marched through our neighborhood and ended up at the old Brookview Elementary School where we watched an awesome fireworks show! The school and fireworks show is now gone but the Oakview Pool and my fond memories still live on! Ms. Marks was a great inspiration to her own kids and to all of the neighborhood kids as well. ( Her daughter Pattie Marks still holds that MCSL Record for Girls 15-18 100 IM). Ms. Marks also loaded a bunch of us neighborhood kids in her HUGE station wagon drove us to the Silver Spring YMCA on Colesville Rd. during the winter so that we could all stay in shape and improve our strokes. I remember we all used to put quarters in the jukebox at the YMCA after practice and play "It's A Beautiful Morning" by the Young Rascals, over and over again! Ms. Marks died a few years ago and when I went to her funeral I was pleased to see some of my old swimming friends there and, at her request, we all got to use colorful markers to decorate and write on her casket before she was laid to rest. What a giving person she was and an inspiration for me as a person, parent & teacher!

As an adult, I have been an MCSL parent for the past 12 years and have enjoyed watching my daughters, Samantha & Lily, swim for the Flower Hill Dolphins and most recently for the Germantown Torpedoes. Go TORPEDOES!!! I only have another three years to go before my daughters graduate from the MCSL but I know that they will carry the strength, swimming skills and fun memories with them for the rest of their lives! Thanks, MCSL!! Happy 50th Anniversary!

Sincerely,

Mark Amberg
Germantown Torpedo Parent & Past Oakview Octopus Swimmer